Some people call this place Turners and to others it is known as Turners Station. There is not much left of this sweet little community that is located about 3 miles east of Springfield Missouri. 100 years ago this was a thriving community on the railroad. What makes this community so special? In 2004 it was designated a Greene County Historic site because it has the oldest continually running grocery store in Greene County Missouri.
The Turners arrived from Tennessee in 1857. The first store was built about a quarter of a mile away and was called Turnerville. After the Civil War the name was changed to Daisy. In 1881 the Turners donated land to the railroad. As happens with many communities, the hub of the community moved to the railroad site. Nothing is left of the first little town.
A store has been on this spot since 1889 and has been owned and run by the same family for 6 generations. The original building burned down in 1923. The family rebuilt their store and many of the local farmers helped. The stones that were used to rebuild the store are field rocks that the farmers brought in from their fields.
Today there is the store which is also the post office and a restaurant, a home next to the store and up on a hill there is a cemetery. The Turner Cemetery. Many years ago there was a water tower for the steam engines, the store/post office, several homes, a school, a barbershop, a tomato canning factory. In the fifties there were gas pumps out front, so the store was also the gas station. A youth center (which is gone now) was built on land behind the store.