“The Old Calaboose”
The old Springfield Missouri City Jail
The first jail in Springfield Mo was a log jail erected in about 1847. A new log building was erected in 1874. The wooden buildings deteriorated quickly. In June 1891 the City Council decided it needed a stone, brick or concrete building. Builder and architect Axel Skoog was chosen to build the new jail for $2,998.00.
The new jail was finished in May 1992. It was named “The Calaboose”. There were 2 cells on the ground floor for men and 2 cells on the second floor for women. In 1921 it was remodeled. It was decided to house the women prisoners in the County Jail and 2nd floor was remodeled to hold fire alarm equipment. By 1955 it was so out of date that the building was turned in storage. It was restored again in 1999 to be used as a police substation, with a police museum on the first floor.
The photos show a number of large holes from gunfire. The building is a 26 foot square with a 3 foot by 7 foot entry.